Friday, March 4, 2011

Back to good...and on to the next!

Long time no "talk"!  Sorry it has taken so long to write, but I thought I would wait until today as we met with the radiation oncologist in Abbotsford this morning to discuss the next phase of my treatment.

As it stands today, I have recovered quite nicely from my latest surgery.  I continue to receive Herceptin, which is an antibody used to treat a unique form of breast cancer cell I carried, and it is administered by IV every 3 weeks until October.  I am still seeing my naturopath every 2 weeks for IV Vitamin C injections, and I continue with my cocktail of vitamins and supplements - all with the goal to prevent reoccurrence.

The plan as we understand it from our meeting today is to start radiation on March 24th (Thursday) and I will need to go for 28 radiotherapy sessions - that is every business day until May 4th.  I had  CT scan today, and the technicians tattooed my chest to pinpoint where the radiotherapy will target.

Once radiation is complete, I will be back in to see the plastic surgeon to carry on with the reconstruction process - and then my oncologist will be prescribing Tamoxifen, another drug which helps block breast cancer cell growth.  I'm told I will be taking this drug for up to 5 years :(

I can honestly say that today I am feeling pretty overwhelmed with everything.  I'm not sure what it is about today that has me feeling this way - but it is what it is.  I will be happy when this phase of the process is over - and soon after that we will be honoring the first anniversary of my diagnosis (May 11th - time sure flies!).  I am happy that my hair has started to grow back.  It's coming in a bit darker and I am now comfortable not wearing my hats, in fact I much prefer to go without but it is still just too cold!

..and on to the light of our lives - Keira Faith is now 7 1/2 months, and as of yesterday, weighs 19lbs 2oz. She is just a little monkey - rolling over now, squirming around and chatting up a storm.  She had her first PJ party this past weekend with her BFF Anna Marie - and is saying her first word..."HI".  She is pretty clever and just loves everyone.  No teeth yet, but they are trying - and she is loving her solid foods.  She is a great eater and still an amazing sleeper.  We are so blessed to have such a great baby!

I got this eating thing in the bag!

My cuzies

My big brother loves to read to me!

Chillin'

...mmm...beer!

Hanging with my BFF, Anna Marie

Bouncy bouncy
Oliver and I are still working on growing the business - and we are now offering small dump truck services.  Check out our website at www.mullenbroslandscaping.ca!  Slow and steady wins the race - and, while we have had a few snow contracts, we are getting busier with lawn contracts now as we head into the spring so that is exciting.

I am happy to say, with the help of some very generous people in my life, I am up to $550 towards my $2000 fundraising goal for the Weekend to End Women's Cancers.  Click here to check out my webpage and I'd love to have some company on my 2 day walk!

Anyways, I hope you are all doing well and we hope to see you all soon.

Love ya!
~O, K, A, K

No comments:

Post a Comment