Wednesday, April 6, 2011

10 down, 18 more to go!

Well, it's been a few weeks since I started radiation, and it is going as good as can be expected. The first session was pretty emotional as I was not sure what to expect - will it hurt? what is this radiation and what damage will it do to me? and of course, damn cancer! Once I got through that one, and the second one, I started to feel a bit more at ease. Now, when I go in I know the drill - lie down in the body mould, line up my chest with the coordinates from the oncologist - 3 blasts of radiation to my underarm area, 2 blasts to the right side of my left chest, and 2 blasts straight on my left chest and done. In total, I am in the room about 15 minutes - but with the commute from Maple Ridge to Abbotsford, it is about a 2 hour journey every week day until May 4th. Good times!

This week was a bit rough as I had my herceptin treatment at the hospital as well - and I still see the naturopath for treatment once a week so getting in to all those appointments has been a juggling act. All in all, I am feeling pretty good. Glad to have enough hair to finally keep me warm and do away with the hats. I am so excited to pass them on to the women in the cancer agencies who need them. It makes me so happy to give away the hats that kept me warm and feeling normal throughout that time in my journey.

Me & my girl!!

Oliver has been working the business when the weather is good - and he has been doing a fantastic job for his customers! I am really proud of how hard he works, and the pride he takes in his jobs. I love his determination and we are very excited at where things could go with this!

..and now on to our little girl. She is now 8.5 months old, has 2, maybe 3 teeth coming in on the bottom and is rolling over and really trying hard to crawl. It won't be long before she is moving around on her hands and knees - but for now she rolls from one side of the living room to the other to get to where she wants to be. She is a little ham, and is the love of our lives! She takes centre stage where ever we take her - especially to the cancer agency. Something about kids and animals that just make anyone smile so we are glad we can give a piece of our joy to those who need a pick-me-up.


My first St. Paddys Day!

Playing sure makes a girl sleepy!
What's next? continue herceptin and naturopath injections (until Oct); finish radiation; continue with the reconstruction process (next surgery in August/September); start taking tamoxifen (an oral drug I must take for at least the next 5 years designed to prevent the original breast cancer from returning and also helps prevent the development of new breast cancers). Getting that much closer to the finish line!

And last but not least, I am $600 towards my $2,000 goal for the 60km Walk to End Women's Cancers so please visit my personal page and make a donation. Let's find a cure for this thing before Keira grows boobies :)

http://www.endcancer.ca/site/TR/Events/Vancouver2011?px=3593439&pg=personal&fr_id=1453

Take care and keep healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment