Saturday, November 6, 2010

Met with the Radiation Oncologist this week...

Well, I made it through the 5th round of chemo relatively unscathed.  Only 3 more of the heavy duty treatments left.  We changed medication this time around, and I am now taking Herceptin and Paclitaxol. 

Herceptin is a drug to treat the unique HER2 cancer gene I carry that is not treated using traditional chemotherapy drugs.  I will take this drug every 3 weeks for a year. My sister called me the other day to let me know there was a movie on TV called "Living Proof".  Harry Connick Jr played a doctor who did research for and, after many years and much struggle, got this life saving drug approved.  What was interesting, and scary, was the drug for women like me with HER2 was only approved in 1998.  Before that, women who had this gene had no way to treat it...and it may not have ended so well for them. Thank god for doctors who don't give up! 

Paclitaxol left me with some tingling and aches in my hands and feet, and after that went away, I am now just experiencing some numbing in my extremeties.  I'll still take that over any other symptoms I could have! I only take this drug a total of 4 times so 1 down and 3 to go.

We met with the Radiation Oncologist at Abbotsford Cancer Agency this week to talk about my radiation plan for early 2011. We are looking at 25 radiation treatments to start as early as late January.  I have to meet with the surgeon to discuss the reconstruction plan before we firm up the radiation schedule and then I will know for sure if I am having reconstruction of the left and surgery to remove the right breast first, then radiation...or radiation then reconstruction.  Sounds like quite a next few months... More to follow on this as we go.

...and now onto more lovely news, Keira is growing like a weed.  We had her weighed this past Friday and she is 12lbs 11oz.  She is interacting with us much more...cooing and smiling.  She loves being in her change table, and gives the best laughs and cries of joy...especially with her daddy who she adores!

Life is good - and I feel very blessed to have all that I have in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment