Sunday, June 26, 2011

Plugging along

I always knew how fast time goes, but having a little one almost turning one - it sure makes it feel like the days and weeks just whiz by.  

Since I wrote last, we continue to be as busy as ever. I have been working through recovering from radiation - and started the reconstruction expansion process earlier this month. 
I have to say that this phase of the journey is definately taking the most toll on me. Not only is the expansion process very painful - I am tired, and I am now starting to allow myself to feel some of the emotions that come along with dealing with what we have been dealing with for the past year.  Sometimes I stop and think about it all, and am amazed at how much we have contended with in such a short period of time.  It is incredible, actually!  I'm also very mindful of the fact that in a few months time, "active" treatment and regular doctors visits will stop - and that is bitter sweet.  Going to the many appointments I go to makes me feel like we are still kicking any cancer out of my body - and the idea of stopping that is quite a lot to get my head around.  At the same time, I won't miss all the poking and prodding that goes along with the various appointments.  I just try to take things one day at a time, and am thankful for an incredible support system at both the Maple Ridge and Abbotsford Hospital - along with my good friends and family.

We had a great fundraiser on June 4th raising about $1600 - and add to that the $1600 in donations I have received on my website directly, together we have raised over $3000 towards breast cancer research.  I have split the money up between the Weekend to End Women's Cancers, and "Kelly's Klique" Run for the Cure - and as of today, Team Kelly's Klique has 8 registered members, and is #4 in the ranking for online donations! 

Our business is booming - and Oliver is doing a great job managing that.  I am so very proud of him.  If only we had more consistent weather, and more money - but we keep plugging along.  Rome wasn't built in a day.


And little miss Keira - weighing in now at 21lbs, getting longer/taller every day - and moving around like there is no tomorrow.  She will be walking in no time at all.  She climbs up on everything, and walks around using the couch and coffee table to help her along.  She is quite a ham, actually.  She has 5 teeth through, and other than one major diaper rash incident, she has been in great spirits.  I didn't even realize she had so many teeth through because she didn't really fuss about it.  She is such a good girl - and we are thankful for her every minute of the day. 

We are celebrating Keira's first birthday with a party and BBQ on Saturday, July 16th at our home (10891 249th St, Maple Ridge) so please feel free to come out for the day.  Party starts at 2pm and goes throughout the evening - we'll have hamburgers and hotdogs, salads, cake, pop and chips. If you want something else to bbq or drink, feel free to bring it along.  RSVP by July 10th if you can make it out.

Aidan is out of school next week - and we have some camping plans in the near future :)  Let's all hope and pray for some consistently warm weather - I don't know about you but having the heat on in June seems so incredibly wrong!! 

What's next?  Weekly visits to Abby Hospital for expansion for likely the next month; weekly visits to the naturopath; every 3 weeks to Maple Ridge Hospital to see the oncologist and get Herceptin treatment until October; training (if you call it that) at least 2 times a week for the 60k walk in August and the 5k walk in October; Keira's first birthday on July 20th!






No comments:

Post a Comment